The largest part of the Coast of East Africa, Mombasa although a bustling coastal city, refrains much of its 150-year old character, with ots old-rise structures, ornate wooden shop fronts and balconies. Arab traders, Portuguese explorers, Indian merchants and British colonists all have left their nark on the area which, mingled with indigenous Swahili culture, has resulted in a colourful pot- Pouri of language, faith, architecture, food and dress.
A string of superb beaches lines the coast both north and south of Mombasa. All are of white coral sand and are protected by reefs, providing safe swimming. And should you time of the beach, Mombasa’s shops and craft stalls after a fascinating collection of goods-makonde wood carvings, stone figurines, African drums and other musical instruments, paintings, fabrics and kangas, the beautifully patterned wrap-around skirts.
Recommended excursions and short day tours
- Full-day Tsavo East tour (visit to Aruba dam and afternoon game viewing)
- Full-day Malindi excursion (visit Gede ruins, glass bottomed boat ride in the marine park and visit Malindi)
- Full-day Wasini Dhow excursion (from Shimoni with snorkeling in the marine park)
Available at the destination
- Half-day Mombasa tour
- Full-day Mombasa city tour
- Evening Tamarind Dhow dinner and dance cruise.
1. 10 Days, 9 Nights Bush & Beach Safari in Kenya
2. kenya Bush & Beach Safari - 14 Days, 13 Nights
3. Indian Ocean Extension - Tijara Beach 05 Nights
4. Tijara Beach Flying Package